Under general supervision, administers SQL server database, analyzes data, and manages the flow of data between application systems; creates reports of high complexity for end-users; responsible for complex systems and databases.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Administers all SQL server database, reporting services and SSIS packages.
• Creates complex queries, stored procedures and functions.
• Models and Manages Database for various applications.
• Creates and maintains advanced ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) systems to feed other external and internal systems, using Integration Services to extract data from a variety of sources.
• Synchronizes data among multiple systems.
• Performs data analysis for various source systems.
• Manages the flow of data between application systems; creates reports of varying complexity for end users; creates advanced SQL query to import and export data.
• Creates and maintains advanced reports; gathers technical requirements from end users, develops procedures in SQL server to extract the data, develops the report using Reporting Services, and deploys the report to the appropriate application.
• Troubleshoots application and data issues across a variety of applications, and provides solutions and recommendations as applicable.
• Provides technical analysis to determine appropriate solutions to meet business requirements.
• Maintains and enforces all aspects of system security and confidentiality of records and information; monitors operations and identifies security issues and violations of MPS policies and guidelines.
• Documents work completed; maintains work log of service requests, equipment malfunctions, software errors and failures, equipment locations and technical configurations; identifies and reports trends and technical problems which need to be addressed by improved procedures and policies.
• Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
• Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
• Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information.
• Has access to any and all documents contained on District servers and individual office personal computers. This includes highly confidential documents relating to individual employee private information, confidential departmental documents, including collective bargaining negotiations. Maintains strict confidentiality of all document contents on any District server or personal computer.
• Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis
• At times may be required to work outside normal business hours and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
Senior Data Analyst, Senior.doc
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines
Bachelor’s Degree in computer technology; AND four (4) years of experience with SQL Server Database and Application development, including creating reports with Reporting Services, Access and Crystal; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
• Principles and practices of database administration, including data communications protocols and topologies, and web- and windows-based software applications.
• Database and web application domain-specific programming languages and tools.
• Entity Relationship modeling.
• Data warehouse and Data mart
• Data Flow Diagrams.
• Student, Human Resources and Financial data.
• Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
• Data backup and recovery processes.
• Principles of data mining, data extraction and data synchronization.
• Network hardware, software and peripheral equipment troubleshooting techniques.
• Principles and protocols for the management of MPS electronic information.
• MPS access policies, and data security protocols.
• Working independently in a technical environment with interlinked and changing priorities.
• Managing database and application development through all stages of the development life cycle.
• Researching, analyzing and evaluating computer database applications, procedures and techniques, including data attribute management.
• Using MS SQL systems for online analytical processing (OLAP) and data mining functionality for business intelligence applications.
• Providing senior-level technical support and resolving database problems.
• Quickly and effectively diagnosing and resolving technical problems in a network environment.
• Coordinating a variety of skilled technology services functions.
• Assessing customer support needs, and implementing effective solutions.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and clients.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
• MPS organization, operations, policies and procedures.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License may be required. Microsoft (MCTS/MCITP/MCPD) and other professional IT certifications are desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a computer laboratory and standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Requires vision capacity to perform fine calibrations and differentiate between colored wires.
SALARY: MPS offers a competitive professional salary and benefits package.
METHOD OF APPLICATION: All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on employment). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
- Cover Letter
- On-Line Application
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY:
Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
The Minneapolis Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action School District