· High School Degree or GED certificate.
· Graduation from a two year Child Development Training Course.
· Six months of full-time (or equivalent part-time) experience working with infants, and/or toddlers as a Child Care Aide in a day care center, plus completion of three accredited Child Development training courses (90 hours).
· Meet the Minnesota State Department of Welfare Center licensing requirements for "assistant teachers".
· Knowledge of day care policies and procedures for children birth through school age.
· Ability to work and communicate effectively and positively with children and parents representing Minneapolis’ diverse cultural, socio-economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Care for children by actively playing with them, talking and reading to assist their development in language and social skills.
· Observe developmental progress, health and well being of children and report significant observations.
· Prepare materials, identifying and utilizing age appropriate methods to help all students participate in the classroom activities.
· Perform diapering and toileting duties in accordance with recommendations set by the health consultant (MVNA).
· Perform food preparation, serving and clean up duties, follow posted menu; aware and in compliance with CCFP guidelines.
· Perform general housekeeping tasks in classroom and other areas used by children in order to assure a safe and sanitary environment.
· Respects and contributes to the accomplishments of other staff members through cooperation and the sharing of ideas, duties and responsibilities.
· Assist in parent communication by contributing to parent conferences, answering or referring parent concerns and aiding in written communications to parents.
· Be familiar with all aspects of the program and it record keeping in order to ensure its smooth continuity.
SALARY: ESP $12.42/hr
METHOD OF APPLICATION:All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on employment). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
· Cover Letter
· On-Line Application
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY:Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
The Minneapolis Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action School District