Provide quality instruction aligned to the state and national standards. Use a variety of assessment strategies – diagnostic, formative and summative, to inform instructional decisions and increase student self-management of learning. Rigorous inquiry-based learning tasks engage students in deep content of the discipline as well as the habits of scholarship. May be required to work as a member of the campus STEM team to ensure quality integrated instruction across disciplines.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Conduct ongoing formal and informal assessment of students English Language Proficiency Levels.
· Prepare and conduct lessons for student whose English language skills range from beginning to advance using appropriate materials and techniques in order to meet Minnesota English Language Proficiency Standards.
· Communicate with families regarding of students’ school program, collaborating with bilingual staff as appropriate.
· Support students’ academic language development in content areas.
· Collaborate with regular education teachers to plan curriculum and jointly support content learning.
· Collaborate with school staff and leadership concerning the development, implementation and evaluation of best practices and instructional strategies for ELL students to attain high academic achievement according to District and State Standards.
· Participate in ongoing staff, team, and individual professional development.
· Facilitate the process of exiting students from the ELL program.
Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university.
· Prior successful experience student teaching or teaching in an urban, multicultural education setting.
· Demonstrates continued professional development through course work, research, peer collaboration and/or job-embedded staff development.
· Master’s or PhD
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
· A valid Minnesota teaching license, or proof of pending approved licensure
· Teacher Salary Schedule – 38 weeks
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard classroom environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier material with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on Careers). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested.
Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
· Cover Letter
· On-Line Application
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.