Lateral Transfer Deadline: 9/16/2013
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, prepares high volumes of food in a timely and quality manner. Prepares food on-site in batches for quantities that are sufficient for the needs of that site/school.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- · Performs food preparation tasks according to planned menus and schedule; cooks food, prepared or from scratch for student nutrition programs that meet the mandated nutritional needs; scales recipes to appropriate quantities need for the assigned site/school.
- · Performs work within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with MPS policies and quality standards.
- · Reads and follows recipes.
- · Prepares, seasons, marinates, cooks, tastes, carves, and serves soups, meats, and vegetables.
- · Cook, measure, mix, wash, peel, cut, or shred, meats, fruits, vegetables, and other ingredients.
- · Evaluates food for flavor, appearance and temperature to present items that are acceptable to students and staff.
- · Inspects food items for the purpose of verifying quantity, quality, and specifications of orders to meet preparation needs and comply with mandated health and food safety standards.
- · Cleans and maintains equipment and food preparation and storage areas in sanitary condition to meet mandated health standards.
- · Reports equipment needs and malfunctions.
- · Ensures compliance with all MPS, U.S. Department of Agriculture, State of Minnesota Departments of Education and Health, Child Nutrition program, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) procedures, policies and standards.
- · Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
- · Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- · Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information.
- · Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis
- · At times may be required to work outside normal business hours and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines
High School diploma; AND two (2) years of experience in food preparation at a large scale facility or restaurant; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
- · Federal, state and local codes and regulations governing food handling and public nutrition services.
- · Safety and sanitation practices for food preparation, distribution and storage.
- · Methods, materials, and practices of volume food preparation.
- · Institutional cooking methods and procedures.
- · Principles of inventory control for institutional food and equipment.
- · Principles of record keeping and records management.
- · Customer service and public relations methods and practices.
- · Environmentally responsible and resource-efficient food preparation and distribution methods.
- · Food preparation techniques and practices.
- · Safely using kitchen tools and equipment, and specialized safety testing and analysis tools.
- · Performing general math calculations, and inventory and records management tasks.
- · Reviewing operations, identifying potential food safety hazards, and verifying MPS compliance with state and Federal regulations.
- · Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- · Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and clients.
- · Promoting and enforcing safe work practices.
- · Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
- · Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License may be required. Certification from Minnesota Department of Health as Certified Food Manager is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a commercial food service and kitchen work environment; moderate physical requirements, with risk of burns and cuts; frequent lifting, carrying, and moving up to 50 pound containers of food preparation materials and equipment; may require working in a walk-in freezer. Applicant will need to meet physical requirements for the position thru CRT assessment.
SALARY: Service Employees International Union Local 284 $15.06/hr
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on Careers).In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply.Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested.
Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
- ·Cover Letter
- ·On-Line Application
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee.Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.