*Candidate pool for possible openings for the 2012/13 school year. Hours vary from site to site.
Under general supervision, provides first-level, on-site Health Services at MPS facilities.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provides first aid and episodic care to students and MPS staff, and responds to emergencies as needed.
· Performs duties within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with MPS policies and quality standards; duties may vary according to job assignment.
· Interviews students, listens to health care concerns, discusses treatment options, and determines health services required to treat a range of healthcare issues.
· Under the direct guidance of health care supervisor, administers medications and special treatments for students with chronic health issues; follows protocols, procedures, and written care plans.
· Make referrals to other members of the school health team and outside resources according to state guidelines and with appropriate consultations with parents.
· Conducts first stage screenings for all students in cooperation with the Health Related Services team and geographical cluster resources.
· Screens students for a variety of health care and environmental issues; tracks and evaluates infection control problems and follows up with clients according to protocols.
· Maintains health records for staff and students and updates electronic files.
· Provides advice and assistance on health services issues for students and families of students.
· Verifies and monitors the health and safety of students and staff in the facilities.
· Maintains inventory of first aid supplies and equipment; re-orders supplies as needed.
· May also track student attendance and record data on state computer systems.
· Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
· Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
· Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information.
· Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis
Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; AND one year of experience as a Certified Nursing Assistant; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
· State and Federal laws and regulatory issues governing public health, including rules and regulations of the Minnesota Department of health and other governing agencies.
· Public health and safety protocols and regional healthcare issues.
· Nutrition and health maintenance issues for children and young adults.
· Regional community service agencies and other governmental assistance programs.
· Principles of record keeping and confidential records and file management.
· Customer service and public relations methods and practices.
· Interpreting and applying applicable Federal, state and local rules and regulations; and MPS policies.
· Analyzing and identifying healthcare problems, and recommending effective solutions.
· Maintaining calm demeanor in emergency and stressful situations.
· Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
· Providing effective customer service, and dealing tactfully and courteously with clients.
· Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and students.
· Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
· Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License may be required. Must obtain and maintain Certified Nursing Assistant registration with the Minnesota Department of Health. First Aid/CPR training is required; additional health and safety training may be required.
· AFSCME/Grade A6 $16.40 - $20.00/hr
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on Careers). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested.
Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
· Cover Letter
· On-Line Application
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.