AVID tutors work under the direction of the classroom teacher to facilitate and coach small groups of students who are engaged in academic problem-solving. The tutors do not re-teach curriculum nor do they work as homework assistants. They are engaged with students as academic coaches to facilitate peer learning and instruction.
Responsible to: Maria Roberts 612-668-0856
- Facilitate and coach small groups of students with academic curriculum
- Engage in problem-solving with students, teach and model the use of skillful questioning
- Defer to the classroom teacher for behavior management assistance
- Take direction from classroom teacher on coaching strategies and methodology
- Act as role models and mentors for students
- Provide feedback regarding academics and participation each class period
- Minimum of 2 years college or 60 semester or 90 quarter college credits – sealed transcript from college/university verifying hours required
- Comfortable working with a diverse student population
- Comfortable with role as academic coach and under the direction of the classroom teacher
- Enjoy working with middle and high school students
- Able to commit to the mandatory 16 hours of paid training
- Ability to build positive relationships around academics with students in grades 6-12
- Ability to motivate and encourage students to reach post-secondary educational goals
Salary: $12.50 per hour
For more information contact: Maria Roberts, AVID District Coordinator at Maria.Roberts@mpls.k12.mn.us.
METHOD OF APPLICATION: All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on employment). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
Note: AVID positions are for the SY (school year) only. There are no Summer School activities for AVID tutors.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY:
Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance. Persons of color are encouraged to apply!
The Minneapolis Public Schools is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action