*This is to establish a candidate pool for future vacancies
Under general supervision, prepares large quantities of food that meet mandated Federal Nutritional Requirements and are prepared in compliance with health and safety regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs food preparation tasks according to planned menus and schedule; cooks food, prepared or from scratch for student nutrition programs that meet the mandated nutritional needs; oversees Garde Manger daily production.
• Works independently, and makes appropriate decisions based on experience; performs work within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with MPS policies and quality standards.
• Estimates food preparation amounts, and adjusts recipes as needed for the purposes of meeting nutritional requirements and minimizing waste.
• Evaluates food for flavor, appearance and temperature to present items that are acceptable to students and staff.
• Inspects food items for the purpose of verifying quantity, quality, and specifications of orders to meet preparation needs and comply with mandated health and food safety standards.
• Monitors operations and verifies that staff follows policies and procedures.
• Cleans and maintains equipment and food preparation and storage areas in sanitary condition to meet mandated health standards.
• Compiles operational statistics; assists with regulatory program reporting; maintains records to meet state laws, program requirements, and quality standards.
• Reports equipment needs and malfunctions to Operations Manager.
• Monitors operations, and assures compliance with all MPS, U.S. Department of Agriculture, State of Minnesota Departments of Education and Health, Child Nutrition program, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) procedures, policies and standards.
• Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
• Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
• Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records and MPS information.
• Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis
• At times may be required to work outside normal business hours and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines
Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts; AND three years experience in large scale food preparation facilities; Eligibility for position is based on passing the required pre-placement exam
• Federal, state and local codes and regulations governing food handling and public nutrition services.
• Safety and sanitation practices for food preparation, distribution and storage.
• Methods, materials, and practices of volume food preparation.
• Institutional cooking methods and procedures.
• Principles of inventory control for institutional food and equipment.
• Principles of record keeping and records management.
• Customer service and public relations methods and practices.
• Environmentally responsible and resource-efficient food preparation and distribution methods.
• Food preparation techniques and practices.
• Safely using kitchen tools and equipment, and specialized safety testing and analysis tools.
• Performing general math calculations, and inventory and records management tasks.
• Reviewing operations, identifying potential food safety hazards, and verifying MPS compliance with state and Federal regulations.
• Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and clients.
• Promoting and enforcing safe work practices.
• Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License may be required. Certification from Minnesota Department of Health as Certified Food Manager is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a commercial food service and kitchen work environment; moderate physical requirements, with risk of burns and cuts; frequent lifting, carrying, and moving up to 50 pound containers of food preparation materials and equipment; may require working in a walk-in freezer.
SALARY: Local 284 $15.81/hr
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and isessential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready.Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allowsus to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body.Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training oremployment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin,marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard topublic assistance.
MinneapolisPublic Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates toapply.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on careers). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered: